For several years now, the Brisbane club have been conducting an annual hive competition. There are prizes! This has always proven to be a very popular event, with many entries, and lots of public who come to be a part of this event.
Anyone is allowed to enter the hive competition; you do not even have to be a member of the ANBA. We want to show-case and promote the diversity and ingenuity of our bee-keepers.
There are many categories that hives can be entered under. There is also a category for our solitary bees because we simply cannot neglect these important pollinators. And we have a special visitor lined up to judge.
The Categories are:
- People’s choice (secret ballot),
- Judges Choice. Judge yet to be selected,
- Best Paint Job,
- Best Native Bee/ Insect Hotel, (Note there were no entries in this category last year, so could be an easier one to win you prize)
- Best tool, device or accessory.
The Rules are:
• Hives can be made of any material and can be any shape or design but must be able to house native bees.
• Hives can be full or empty of actual bees, ideally you have one of each.
• Hives can be standard hives which are painted/ decorated. Fire up your creative side!
• There is no limit to the number of individual entries.