The ANBA is sponsoring the Native Bee Honey competition at this year’s Ekka (Royal Queensland Show at the Brisbane Showgrounds)! Like the Sydney show, you can enter in 3 classes – Tetragonula carbonaria, Tetragonula hockingsi and Austroplebeia australis.
Prize money for each class is: $25 for first, $15 for second, $10 for third, and $5 for fourth; not to mention the prestige of winning the first ever Ekka native bee honey show!
Our ANBA President, Ian Driver, has been appointed Steward of the competition and will oversee the coordination and judging process. Judges are yet to be selected.
Entries close Monday 18 July 2022 at 5pm.
Entries are now open and must be completed through the RNA site here https://www.ekka.com.au/competitions/agriculture/apiculture/
After entering you need to prepare your entry and deliver it to the event.
Exhibits must be in a 50ml round parallel-sided bottle.
See image. Note that this is a similar bottle but only half the volume of the 100 ml required at the Sydney show.
How to send in your honey entry:
- You can deliver your entries directly to the RNA on Sunday 30 July between 8-9am (see their schedule for details) OR
- ANBA is coordinating the collection and submission of honey entries to the show. We can post you a kit free of charge that will include two empty bottles (or more if you have entered multiple samples and or classes) and relevant labelling instructions.
- You can post these back directly to the coordinator (at your cost) or drop off to Bulimba (address provided in the kit).
- Alternatively contact your closest ANBA branch to check if they are coordinating a bulk mailing to Brisbane OR
- Come with your honey (in any container) to our ANBA Meeting on Sunday 3 July 1-3 pm at the Bulimba Community Hall and we will help you bottle it and add your entry for delivery.
If you wish to utilise the ANBA approach approaches 2—5, once you have registered online with the RNA send an email to Ian Driver at firstname.lastname@example.org with your details requesting a kit to be sent to you, or interest in coming to the Sunday meeting.
If you have any questions please contact the RNA directly or contact Ian Driver at email@example.com or on 0402 784 171.